A Brisk & Exhilarating Workout Wednesday
It certainly doesn’t feel like December here in New York City on this first Workout Wednesday of the month! It’s been close to 50 degrees here the past few days, and I’ve enjoyed every breath of this balmy air on my morning walks to the office. However, it was nowhere near this warm on Saturday when I headed to Central Park for another great CrossFit UWS workout!
Armed with my Under Armour compression top, ear band and gloves, I was ready to go. Of course, after jump roping a few minutes and getting through one round of the warm up, my core temperature was adequately fired up and ready to push through another of Roberto Murichi’s killer workouts.
Here’s how it all broke down:
- Static/Active Stretching: After some static stretches for my calves and hip flexors, I spent between 5-6 minutes minutes jumping rope.
- Warm up: We had 10 minutes to complete as many rounds as possible (AMRAP) of the following circuit:
- 50 m lunge walk
- 25 sit-ups
- 20 push-ups
- 15 back extensions (“Superman”s)
Unfortunately, I accidentally deleted part of my note on my iPhone and don’t remember how many rounds I got through. I know it was more than two and less than 10. Regardless, I was more than warmed up and ready to move on to the the heart of the workout. The key with any AMRAP it to remember you can stop and take a breather at any time when your body tells you to.
- Workout: I’ll call it “Three Crazy Minutes x Five.” The basic concept: we had three minutes to get through as many rounds of the following circuit as possible (yes, another AMRAP):
- 25 m sprint
- Three burpees
- Six squats (I used the park bench as a guide to make sure I “sat” down far enough so that each squat count!)
- Nine box jumps (also using the park benches as our jumping on/off point)
We would work our way through each of the exercises listed above until the three minutes were up. Then we had one minute of rest before moving on to the next round. We did this for a total of five rounds.
I never made it through the circuit three full times in three minutes. The most I could bang out were two circuits and then an additional 25 meter sprint and three more burpees before the glorious sound of the buzzer went off to let us know we had 60 seconds to rest. When those five rounds were up, the endorphins were flowing and I felt great!
Despite the holiday hustle and bustle and Old Man Winter knocking on our doors, I’m hoping to get a couple more of these Central Park workouts in before the end of 2012. If you’re interested in getting in on the fun, click here for more information.
Wherever your workouts take you this month, remember to stay active so you can round out the year knowing you’re doing all you can to have fun, be fit and feel fabulous!
Posted on December 5, 2012, in Fitness, Health and tagged AMRAP, Box Jumps, Burpees, Central Park, Cold Weather Workout, CrossFit UWS, Laura DeAngelis, Outdoor Workout, Roberto Murichi, Squats, Under Armour. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.