Sweet Summer Snacks
As we inch even closer to the official start of the easy, breezy days of summer, I wanted to end the work week on a light note.
So, I thought I’d offer a list of some of my favorite seasonal healthy snack options:
- Carrots: I always have a package of baby carrots in my fridge. On Sunday’s, you’ll find me making grab-and-go serving sizes of carrots for each day of the work week. I usually add a serving of either cherry tomatoes, red, orange or yellow pepper strips and/or celery. Munching on carrots gives you that “crunch” sensation similar to eating pretzels or chips, but with benefits like beta carotene and other nutrients, they pack a much healthier punch!
- Watermelon: This is probably my favorite summertime treat! Low in calories, but loaded with sweet flavor, it’s a great way to keep my sweet tooth cravings in check. (Pineapple comes in as a close second.)
- Frozen grapes: There are three calories in a grape, so a bunch of frozen ones is a low-cal and healthy alternative to heavier desserts. Freezing them just adds some coolness on even the hottest days of the season!
- Frozen blueberries. Mix them into a plain non-fat plain Greek yogurt for a protein-packed low-guilt serving of “frozen yogurt.”
- Iced green tea: Next to cardio, iced green tea may be my biggest summertime addiction. Aside from giving me a needed energy boost in the afternoon, iced green tea also offers Vitamin C, antioxidants and bioflavonoids. Some studies suggest bioflavonoids help keep the arteries healthy and even prevent the development of cataracts.
- Finally, for all you picnic lovers, check out this link for some great portable recipes that don’t pack tons of guilt!
Would love to know what YOU love to snack on in the summertime!
Wishing everyone a wonderful weekend ahead filled with all your seasonal fitness and healthy food faves and plenty of opportunities to have fun, be fit and feel fabulous!
Posted on June 8, 2012, in Health, Nutrition and tagged Antioxidants, Bioflavanoids, Healthy Summer Snacks, Laura DeAngelis, Portable Healthy Snacks. Bookmark the permalink. 4 Comments.
Great summer time snacks delicious and good for you without the guilt! Keeping you fuller longer, i absolutly luv all the foods you mentioned!
Hi John! Glad you approve of my snack list! 🙂 Amazing how you can enjoy some “sweets” without being really bad, right? Enjoy your time at the Subway Series and thank you again for all your support.
I’ve got the carrots and watermelon in my fridge right now! Gotta love summer produce.
Yes, love that there are grab-and-go watermelon, pineapple and strawberry packages all over the place! Let’s eat up and enjoy!