Sweet Summer Snacks
So, I thought I’d offer a list of some of my favorite seasonal healthy snack options:
- Carrots: I always have a package of baby carrots in my fridge. On Sunday’s, you’ll find me making grab-and-go serving sizes of carrots for each day of the work week. I usually add a serving of either cherry tomatoes, red, orange or yellow pepper strips and/or celery. Munching on carrots gives you that “crunch” sensation similar to eating pretzels or chips, but with benefits like beta carotene and other nutrients, they pack a much healthier punch!
- Watermelon: This is probably my favorite summertime treat! Low in calories, but loaded with sweet flavor, it’s a great way to keep my sweet tooth cravings in check. (Pineapple comes in as a close second.)
- Frozen grapes: There are three calories in a grape, so a bunch of frozen ones is a low-cal and healthy alternative to heavier desserts. Freezing them just adds some coolness on even the hottest days of the season!
- Frozen blueberries. Mix them into a plain non-fat plain Greek yogurt for a protein-packed low-guilt serving of “frozen yogurt.”
- Iced green tea: Next to cardio, iced green tea may be my biggest summertime addiction. Aside from giving me a needed energy boost in the afternoon, iced green tea also offers Vitamin C, antioxidants and bioflavonoids. Some studies suggest bioflavonoids help keep the arteries healthy and even prevent the development of cataracts.
- Finally, for all you picnic lovers, check out this link for some great portable recipes that don’t pack tons of guilt!
Would love to know what YOU love to snack on in the summertime!
Wishing everyone a wonderful weekend ahead filled with all your seasonal fitness and healthy food faves and plenty of opportunities to have fun, be fit and feel fabulous!