Here’s to making it to the end of another work week! As I am just back from vacation and try to re-adjust to the daily grind, I thought it was the perfect time to continue what I started last week: a quick Friday hit list. This time, I offer some of my favorite snacks.
As I mentioned in my previous installment Food & Fitness, I generally try to eat every three to four hours to keep my blood sugar at an even keel and avoid getting so hungry that I eat too much or the wrong foods at my next official meal. That means I’m always on the lookout for smart snack options that keep me fueled whether I’m on a shoot, gearing up for a good workout or simply reading a book on the beach. Here are some of my go-to items:
- At work: I always have single serve mini bags of 94% fat-free microwavable popcorn in my desk drawer. (Yet another tip learned through Weight Watchers.) Not only are the popped kernels filling, it takes some time to get through a bag, which leaves you no choice but to snack slowly.
- Pre-workout: I usually head to the gym after work, so an hour before I start my workout, I will eat a protein / carb mix. Three of my mix-and-match favorites include: one Weight Watchers string cheese with an apple, peach or nectarine; non-fat plain Greek yogurt with a serving of almonds or reduced fat Wheat Thins with Laughing Cow cheese spread.
- Pre-“big time” workout: I absolutely love peanut butter, but I have a hard time restraining myself to the “normal” serving size. However, Jif makes portable single serve cups. They are definitely packed with more calories and fat than I’d normally like to snack on. However, on a day where I couldn’t eat a normal, well-balanced lunch and I’m taking my weekly Club Strength class, I’ll “splurge” on a snack of one single-size peanut butter cup on two slices of Weight Watchers toast. (For a boost to this snack or any on this list, I’ll add an apple.)
- On the run: I always have a Fiber One bar in my backpack or purse. I get a chocolate fix while kicking hunger to the curb.
- In a pinch: a hot cup of green tea or chewing gum helps keep my hunger when eating a healthy snack isn’t on the menu.
If you have some different snack ideas, please send them along! (While you’re at it, let me know if you have any good music to add to the Music That Makes Me Move playlist I posted last week.) The information we share can only help us all on our journey to have fun, be fit and feel fabulous!
Posted on August 19, 2011, in Fitness, Health, Nutrition and tagged Carbohydrates, Healthy Snacks, Laura DeAngelis, Personal Fitness, Protein, Workout. Bookmark the permalink. 4 Comments.
Great ideas Laura! Thanks for sharing. I am always looking for quick snacks on the go with the kids because I never have time to eat. I like the popcorn idea. 🙂
Hello Paula! Glad you found the ideas helpful. It is particularly important for you to stay fueled since your days are jam-packed with activity! The popcorn also comes in kettle corn flavor if you need something sweet. Let me know if you discover any of your own unique ideas along the way
Hummus and pita chips is one of my favorite snacks! I’m like a little old lady with all the snacks I keep in my bag…haha But it pays off b/c I always have something when I’m on the go. Thanks for the great ideas!
Hi Paula, That’s a good one! And you can dip just about anything in hummus, like celery or carrot sticks. It’s definitely important to have something to have some healthy sources of energy when you’re always on the go.