It’s crunch time! Just days left to cross those names off your gift list and get those cards in the mail. Many people are also packing up their suitcases and getting ready for some holiday cheer with the relatives. If your holiday plans take you “over the river and through the woods” to somebody’s house for a few days, you don’t have to leave your commitment to exercise at home. Packing a few fitness essentials and making a few modifications can keep you on track.
- Don’t forget the sneakers. Having them along for the trip means there’s no excuse not to go for your usual daily run (weather permitting) or take a long walk with that relative or friend you’ve been meaning to catch up with since the last family get-together. It also means you’ll have an easy way to burn some calories pre- or post-feast time.
- Pack some workout clothes. There’s always room for an exercise bra, a pair of shorts or yoga pants, a moisture-wicking top and two or three pairs of athletic socks. I love workout wear because the clothes don’t take up much space and you don’t have to worry about anything getting wrinkled!
- Use the drive time to download some cool fitness apps. If you’re traveling by train or car (and you’re not driving, of course), use the trip to download apps that give you exercise plans no matter where you decide workout. One of the most popular ones out there is FitnessPro. Being delayed at the airport is another perfect time for app downloads.
- You packed the gear, now get moving! Whether it’s on the floor of the guest bedroom you’re sleeping in or in the den when it’s not filled with the TV crowd, here are some exercises you don’t need a gym for: Bridges, Planks, Crunches, Jumping Jacks, Squats, Lunges and Push Ups. (If you’re driving and have the room, throw your yoga mat in the car so you can do the core exercises on the floor with greater comfort.)
- Plan a family fitness activity. If your family is willing to give you control of the remote for a bit, maybe you could all meet in the living room to give your walking or Zumba DVD a try. If they happen to have a Wii, XBox 360 or PlayStation system, perhaps a Dance Dance Revolution competition could be a fun way to get everyone moving and have a few laughs in the process!
So while you may miss your favorite group exercise class or one day of weight training at the gym, there are ways to keep moving while you’re away from home. And let’s not forget the memories we make while spending time with family and friends over the holidays are incomparable moments in the journey to have fun, be fit and feel fabulous!