It’s the Most Wonderful Time of the Year!
Hello, faithful followers! As many of you already know from my sporadic social media posts, it’s been a hectic time with Mom having her right knee replaced exactly two weeks ago today. I’m happy to report her warrior spirit continues to help her make strides each day. (A big thank you to everyone who’s taken the time to send her good wishes before surgery and during her recovery!) I thought I’d use the first workout Wednesday of June to make a reappearance in the blogosphere – especially since we’re on the verge of ushering in the summer of 2019.
If Memorial Day weekend snuck up on you before you had time to stock up on some seasonal essentials, there’s no time like today to write up your shopping list. Being prepared is a surefire way to enjoy those summertime outdoor workouts and sunshine-filled fun with family and friends. Here are a few suggestions:
1. Don’t Ignore Those Tootsies! As we speed toward the halfway mark of 2019, now’s the time to think about the last time you got a new pair of sneakers. If you’re a serious runner or involved in high-impact exercise and it’s been six months or longer, it’s time to consider getting a new pair. Every fitness routine needs the proper footwear to ensure you’re getting the right amount of stability and support.
2. Protect the Girls! Ladies, it’s also time to take stock of the last time you invested in a supportive sports bra. Breasts have zero muscle, but without proper support, the skin and ligaments near the breasts which give them their size and shape can break down and eventually cause sagging. (The kicker: once those ligaments stretch out, they don’t bounce back!) Whatever your size, you will experience some level of bounce during exercise. So to all my fellow fitness chicks, you should wear a sports bra whether you’re power walking, full-on running or basically doing anything that gets your moving. (In case you’re wondering, I’m a huge fan of the Athleta line of sports bras. They offer support and moisture-wicking comfort whether I’m kickboxing, Tabata training and taking a long power walk along the Hudson River.)
3. Sunscreen, sunscreen, sunscreen! As a former coconut-scented tanning oil addict who now gets annual scans of the many moles on my body, I implore you to protect your skin from the damaging effects of the sun. There are so many lightweight SPF 30 and higher sunscreen options available today. That means there is no excuse for not wearing sunscreen for a long summer stroll or a super-sweaty session of beach volleyball. If the skin on your face is super sensitive like mine (I was diagnosed with rosacea in my 30s), you may want to give La Roche-Posay Ultra Light Sunscreen Fluid a try. It’s been my go-to for years.
4. Smart Snacks: Planning to spend a good part of the day away from your healthy home base? Arming yourself with prepared meals in a portable cooler can help stick with your healthy eating habits even while you’re at the beach. Many hiking trails or other walking venues don’t have much to offer in terms of fuel except for maybe the occasional hot dog vendors or some vending machines filled with sugary drinks and candy bars. So be sure to pack some healthy, portable options such as almonds, apples or low-sugar protein bars.
5. Portable Hydration: Last but certainly not least, don’t go anywhere without a reusable water bottle. (You can even fill it with ice cubes and enjoy chilled water as they melt.) Since we lose essential potassium and sodium when we sweat, my repeat readers know I never I never leave home without a bottle of BFit Rapid Electrolyte Spray. (Zero calories, zero carbs and zero food dyes.)
Remember, a little prep and having the right items in your arsenal can make all the difference when it comes to sticking with your summer plans to have fun, be fit and feel fabulous!
Posted on June 5, 2019, in Fitness, Health, Nutrition and tagged Athleta, Knee Replacement Surgery, La-Roche Posay, Personal Fitness, Sports Bras, summer fitness tips, Summer Nutrition Tips, The Importance of Sunscreen, Workout Wednesday. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.