It’s probably no surprise to learn Super Bowl Sunday is the second-biggest calorie-consumption day of the year after Thanksgiving. The recommended daily caloric intake for people looking to maintain their weight is roughly 2,000 calories. On Super Bowl Sunday, the majority of Americans eat close to 2,800 calories…in about three hours.
Even if you’re not a football fanatic, celebrating Super Bowl Sunday has become a pretty common American tradition. I think it’s because the big game and the big-budget commercials that play in between the plays offer the perfect opportunity for friends and family to get together. Those gatherings tend to be fueled by many of the foods most of us try to avoid on a regular basis.
With some help CalorieKing, here’s a “playbook” featuring some of America’s favorite Super Bowl Sunday foods. After you calculate your personal tally based on how many servings you enjoyed yesterday, you can decide if you have more than a few good reasons to get off your you-know-what and start that next run, walk or other workout pronto.
- 1 Slice of Cheese Pizza = 240 calories
- 1 Slice of Pepperoni Pizza = 298 calories
- 5-wing serving of hot wings = Anywhere from 300 to 597 calories (depending on the sauce and dip they’re served with)
- 5 Pigs-in-a-Blanket = 470 calories
- Bowl of Chili = Calories range from 300 – 600 based on the recipe. (e.g. cheese v. no-cheese)
- Queso Dip = 71 calories per serving. (A serving is 2 tablespoons and most people have closer to 10. Each serving also includes 5 grams of fat)
- Doritos’ Tortilla Chips, Cool Ranch Flavored (12 chips) = 140 calories
- 1 Light Beer (12 oz) = 96 calories
- 1 Regular Beer or Ale (12 oz) = 150 calories
- 1 Regular Soda (12oz) = 140 calories
Whether or not your team won and whether or not you enjoyed any or or all of the indulgences mentioned above, I hope you enjoyed some Sunday Funday downtime. If that did go a bit overboard with the food and drink, don’t sweat it. This first Motivation Monday for February is the perfect time to get back on track with your plans to have fun, be fit and feel fabulous!