In full disclosure, this Motivation Monday post filled with gift ideas for the 2018 holiday season was supposed to be posted last week. However, this elf was simply overwhelmed with other life responsibilities and well, something had to give. So while I realize the Hanukkah festivities have wrapped for this season, I hope to help a few others scrambling to cross some names off their lists with only 15 days left before Christmas.
Here are five feel-good items that everyone can enjoy regardless of their fitness level …
- Scented candles: After a long day of work, working out and holiday happenings, a soothing scent can help even the most frantic mind unwind. Diptyque candles are a longtime favorite among those looking for something a little special for those special someones.
- Earth-friendly water bottles: I received a Mira water bottle several years ago and I never leave home without it. It’s amazing how it keeps water perfectly chilled even on the hottest days.
- Athlete Recovery Sleepwear: Anyone who gives or receives one or more of these Under Armour items for this holidays will have to send me some reviews. These are pretty pricey pajamas, but they’re supposed to help promote better sleep,
- Portable, complete hydration: I’ve been touting the benefits of these perfect stocking stuffers for several years now. A few pumps of BFit Rapid Electrolyte Spray before, during and after your workouts give you all the electrolytes your body needs. The spray keeps you moving without weighing you down with what you don’t need – sugar, calories or gluten. (As to other stocking stuffer ideas, gift cards to a favorite athletic apparel shop; a 10-pack of fitness classes or grippy socks are always a hit.)
- Soothing teas: My friend Michele recently introduced me to the soothing power of Yogi’s Kava Stress Relief tea. It’s perfect on a chilly, winter night after a long day. There are dozens of varieties of great tasting teas. Consider one box as a stocking stuffer or fill a gift bag with a variety and let that lucky someone on your list decide which one he or she likes best.
Remember, giving gifts that promote a healthy lifestyle is a great way to let the most important people in your life know you support every step in their journey to have fun, be fit and feel fabulous!
Hooray for the first official Motivation Monday post of the summer of 2018!
As I am just back from a week hosting the Health Channel, I hope you’ll forgive this short and sweet post. But now that my favorite time of year has finally arrived, I thought it was the perfect time great to offer a few things that help me make the most of the season.
Favorite Guilt-Free Treats: Frozen grapes, watermelon, strawberries, pineapple and mangoes. All of these fruits are packed with vitamins, including A and C, along with antioxidants. They also provide a sweet, juicy way to stay hydrated.
Favorite Summer Accessories: The pretty, purple MIRA insulated water bottle one of my besties gave me last Christmas; BFit Rapid Electrolyte Spray; Athleta sports bras and moisture-wick shorts and tanks; “At the Beach” skin products from Bath & Body Works; Organic coconut oil to help repair my sun-kissed hair.
Favorite Summer Songs: Having some motivational music along for a workout can sometimes mean the difference between throwing in the towel or sweating through one or two more steps or reps. If you’re looking to mix things up, here are some seasonal classics that continue to add a little spring to my summer steps:
- “Summertime,” Will Smith
- “All Summer Long,” Kid Rock
- “Cruel Summer,” Bananarama
- “Summertime, Summertime,” Nocera
- “Summertime Sadness,” Lana Del Ray & Cedric Gervais
- “Summer Thing!” Afrojack featuring Mike Taylor
- “Summer Girls,” Dino
- “Summer of ’69,” Bryan Adams
- “Boys of Summer, ” Don Henley
- “Summer in the City,” The Lovin’ Spoonful
Now get out there, and find a few things that make you feel your best so you can savor every second of the summertime opportunities to have fun, be fit and feel fabulous!
I’ve decided if I keep writing about summer-related topics, Mother Nature will eventually get the hint and it will start to feel like we’re approaching the midway mark for the month of June. So on this Motivation Monday, I offer a list of the must-have items to for a season filled with outdoor workouts and sunshine-filled fun with family and friends.
1. Don’t Ignore Those Tootsies! As we speed toward the halfway mark of 2018, now’s the time to think about the last time you got a new pair of sneakers. If you’re a serious runner or involved in high-impact exercise and it’s been six months or longer, it’s time to consider getting a new pair. Every fitness routine needs the proper footwear to ensure you’re getting the right amount of stability and support.
2. Protect the Girls! Ladies, it’s also time to take stock of the last time you invested in a supportive sports bra. Breasts have zero muscle, but without proper support, the skin and ligaments near the breasts which give them their size and shape can break down and eventually cause sagging. (The kicker: once those ligaments stretch out, they don’t bounce back!) Whatever your size, you will experience some level of bounce during exercise. So every woman needs to wear a sports bra whether she’s power walking, full-on running or exercising in any way that gets you moving. (In case you’re wondering what I wear for kickboxing, barre workouts and Tabata training, I’m a huge fan of the Athleta line of sports bras. )
3. Sunscreen, sunscreen, sunscreen! As a former coconut-scented tanning oil addict who now gets annual scans of the many moles on my body, I implore you to protect your skin from the damaging effects of the sun. There are so many lightweight SPF 30 and higher sunscreen options available today. That means there is no excuse for not wearing sunscreen for a long summer stroll or a super-sweaty session of beach volleyball. If the skin on your face is super sensitive like mine, you may want to give La Roche-Posay Ultra Light Sunscreen Fluid a try. It’s been my go-to for years.
4. Smart Snacks: Planning to spend a good part of the day away from your healthy home base? Arming yourself with sensible snacks is a surefire way to avoid making less-than-optimal choices. While scenic, those mood-boosting long walks often don’t have much to offer by way of fuel except for hot dog vendors or vending machines filled with sugary drinks and candy bars. So be sure to pack some healthy, portable options such as almonds, apples or low-sugar protein bars. My go-to: KIND snack bars.
5. Portable Hydration: Last but certainly not least, don’t go anywhere without a reusable water bottle. (You can even fill it with ice cubes and enjoy chilled water as they melt.) Since we lose essential potassium and sodium when we sweat, my repeat readers know I never I never leave home without a bottle of BFit Rapid Electrolyte Spray. (Zero calories, zero carbs and zero food dyes.)
Remember, a little prep and having the right items in your arsenal can make all the difference when it comes to sticking with your summer plans to have fun, be fit and feel fabulous!
It’s hard to believe this is the last Motivation Monday of the summer of 2017!
As we all get ready to shift gears into the new season, I thought I’d offer a short and sweet reminder of one of the essential components of my healthy living routine 365 days a year. My repeat readers have seen multiple posts about why I use Bfit Rapid Electrolyte Spray from Sportsfood to keep my body moving through a wide range of activities. Today, I offer this short video which explains how exactly how I use the sprays and why I’ll never leave home without a bottle in my bag. (Thanks to James and Jorge for helping me get this down and dirty video done!)
If you’re planning to add some new fitness gear and classes to your fall routine, I encourage you to consider adding one more component to help you power through the season. To learn more or try the spray for yourself, simply click here. Here’s to a making the most out of these last days of summer and welcoming the new season full of chances to have fun, be fit and feel fabulous!