Hooray for the first official Motivation Monday post of the summer of 2018!
As I am just back from a week hosting the Health Channel, I hope you’ll forgive this short and sweet post. But now that my favorite time of year has finally arrived, I thought it was the perfect time great to offer a few things that help me make the most of the season.
Favorite Guilt-Free Treats: Frozen grapes, watermelon, strawberries, pineapple and mangoes. All of these fruits are packed with vitamins, including A and C, along with antioxidants. They also provide a sweet, juicy way to stay hydrated.
Favorite Summer Accessories: The pretty, purple MIRA insulated water bottle one of my besties gave me last Christmas; BFit Rapid Electrolyte Spray; Athleta sports bras and moisture-wick shorts and tanks; “At the Beach” skin products from Bath & Body Works; Organic coconut oil to help repair my sun-kissed hair.
Favorite Summer Songs: Having some motivational music along for a workout can sometimes mean the difference between throwing in the towel or sweating through one or two more steps or reps. If you’re looking to mix things up, here are some seasonal classics that continue to add a little spring to my summer steps:
- “Summertime,” Will Smith
- “All Summer Long,” Kid Rock
- “Cruel Summer,” Bananarama
- “Summertime, Summertime,” Nocera
- “Summertime Sadness,” Lana Del Ray & Cedric Gervais
- “Summer Thing!” Afrojack featuring Mike Taylor
- “Summer Girls,” Dino
- “Summer of ’69,” Bryan Adams
- “Boys of Summer, ” Don Henley
- “Summer in the City,” The Lovin’ Spoonful
Now get out there, and find a few things that make you feel your best so you can savor every second of the summertime opportunities to have fun, be fit and feel fabulous!
On that note, I thought it only appropriate to round off the week with some of the tunes that help me “fight back” when I need some extra motivation to conquer whatever is ailing me – physically or emotionally. Remember, you have the strength to overcome whatever challenges lie ahead of you.
Here’s my current top 10 list of songs that help me get through it all. (They are part of my iTunes “Angry Mix” playlist):
- “My Time,” Fabolous & Jeremih
- “Stronger,” Kayne West
- “Fighter,” Christina Aguilera
- “Sin,” Nine Inch Nails
- “Die Another Day,” Madonna
- “The Fire,” The Roots & John Legend
- “No More Drama,” Mary J. Blige
- “It’s Not My Time,” 3 Doors Down
- “How You Like Me Now?” The Heavy
- “I Miss the Misery,” Halestorm
So, what’s your favorite work-out-the-anger song?
Maybe there was something in the stars, because I know a lot of people who had a particularly rough week. Whether you’ve been fighting a cold or struggling with a challenging time at work or on the home front, remember: each of us has the strength to tackle our issues head-on. If you’re up to it, get in a good workout or two over the weekend. Break a good sweat, shake it off and remember the weekend’s the perfect time to look for new chances to have fun, be fit and feel fabulous!
Not all of these songs are necessarily new, but they’re some of my most recent downloads and they keep me moving on the elliptical, pulling through my sprints on the rowing machine or pushing through a Tabata derby:
- “Give a Little More,” Maroon 5
- “New York City,” Paul van Dyk feat. Austin Leeds, Starkillers & Ashley Tomberlin
- “Gangnam Style,” PSY
- “The White Room,” Adam White, Andy Moor & Whiteroom
- “All I Ever Wanted,” The Mystery (Vocal Mix)
- “Turn Around (5,4,3,2,1),” Flo Rida
- “Unconditional Love,” Amurai feat. Melissa Loretta
- “Not Alone,” Gianluca Motta feat. Molly
- “Pound the Alarm,” Nicki Minaj
- “Too Close,” Alex Clare
I’m always looking for high-energy tunes for cardio, strength training, warming up or cooling down, so I’d love to hear what keeps your workouts fun! No matter what the season, having some good tunes to keep you moving is one of the best ways to have fun, be fit and feel fabulous!