On this Motivation Monday, we are six days away from the official start of spring. As you can probably tell from my last few posts, this bona fide beach bunny is very excited about the arrival of my favorite season. So for my last pre-summer post, I thought I’d offer a few fitness-related items to add to your shopping list as you gear up for fun in the sun and new chances to get outside and get moving.
1) Re-usable water bottle: Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. My rule of thumb is unless you’re playing a sport for 90 minutes or longer, stay away from sugary energy drinks.
2) Sportsfood strips: Whether you’re hitting the trails for a run, the beach for a swim or the park for a picnic, throw a cartridge or two of these no-calorie, no-sugar electrolyte strips in your bag. Click here to see why I never go anywhere without them. (And when you order them, don’t forget to use coupon code Laura for a 15% discount.)
3) Moisture-wicking clothing: Sometimes the gear I wear makes all the difference between sweating it out and throwing in the towel.
3) Portable / non-perishable snacks: Open any of my backpacks or beach bags, and chances are you’ll find almonds, a banana and a protein bars. At this time of year, some of my other favorites to pack in a cooler are celery, watermelon and frozen grapes.
4) Jump rope: My favorite portable workout tool that can be used just about anywhere.
5) New kicks: You may recall I get a new pair of cross trainers twice a year. Since I tend to ask Santa to leave one pair under the tree for me on Christmas Day, this is the time of year I look for the next pair that I can start wearing down.
6) Sunscreen: I did a lot of damage to my skin with all the sun worshiping I did in my teens and 20s. After developing Rosacea in my 30s, I’m much more diligent about protecting my skin. I look for products that are lightweight, waterproof and formulated specifically for sensitive skin.
7) Good tunes: I simply cannot get into my workout without some heart-pounding beats. Here are the five songs currently giving me the biggest boost for cardio, Tabatas and weight training (some are old, some are new):
- “Girl Gone Wild (Dave Aude Remix)” – Madonna
- “The Walker” – Fitz & The Tantrums
- “Ease off the Liquor” – Timbaland
- “Love Runs Out” -One Republic
- “Bigfoot” – W&W
Now bring on the start of summer 2014 and plenty of sun-filled days and chances to have fun, be fit and feel fabulous right through Labor Day!
On this Motivation Monday, I’m excited to tell you about a new addition to my fitness routine. I tried it for several days last week and experienced the same positive results each time. What did I do? I “stripped” before each workout, and I “stripped” again halfway through each sweaty ordeal.
Now that I’ve got your attention, let me explain exactly what I’m talking about: a rapid electrolyte replacement oral thin film strip made by Sportsfood, Inc. Just like the company’s website says, the strips are small and thin, and dissolve instantly in your mouth. Once dissolved, each strip immediately begins to replace the all-important electrolytes – sodium and potassium – your body loses when you sweat. The kicker: the strips contain no calories, no sugars, no carbs and no food dyes.
I admit I was skeptical when I first tried the strips. I took two strips about five minutes before my Physique57 workout started. (Note: the strips have a slightly salty taste, but they dissolve so fast, I didn’t find anything unpleasant about them.) I used another two after the warm up, thigh sprints and one side of the glute work was done. (That’s about 30 minutes into class.) While I still felt the burn from the intense workout, my muscles didn’t tire out quite as quickly and that means I banged out more reps than ever before. I used the strips again before a 60-minute cardio-only session at New York Sports Club the next day and I had the same results. I was able to extend my time on the elliptical machine, stationary bike AND rowing machine – which means I extended my normal workout by an additional 15 minutes.
The bottom line is while I will always drink my water before, during and after any workout, the strips definitely gave my body an “edge” I haven’t experienced before. Please note, this is not an “energy” strip – they don’t contain caffeine or stimulants. They are strictly made up of the electrolytes our bodies need to live. From an active standpoint, sodium and potassium help maintain water balance and prevent muscle cramps and fatigue.
Remember, being hydrated is the single most important factor in activities of any intensity level. That includes activities that aren’t strictly fitness-focused. I can’t wait to pack these strips in my beach bag to keep me moving during a long walk on the sand or even before some heavy lifting of yard furniture and other seasonal items at my parents’ house.
If you’ve been reading this blog for awhile, you know I don’t normally write rave reviews about products, but tend to discuss certain workouts or unexpected food finds that I find helpful. I hope that assures you that I’m only writing about this particular product because I do consider it a bona fide find for my diet and exercise regimen.
If you want to learn more about the product, please visit the Sportsfood website. If you’re interested in giving them a try, here’s a bonus for you LauraLovesFitness followers: use “Laura” as your coupon code and get 15% your order. Of course, if you do try them, I want to hear from you! As always, exchanging ideas on how we all stay active and healthy can only help on this never-ending journey to have fun, be fit and feel fabulous!