With one day to go before the start of Hanukkah and only two weeks until Christmas, I’m impressed you even have time to read this Motivation Monday post. I’ll keep things short and sweet so you can resume all your peak holiday hustle-and-bustle activities.
Here are my top five stocking-stuffer ideas for the fitness friends on your list:
- BFit Labs Electrolyte Sprays. I never leave home without a bottle! Each electrolyte-packed spray of Berry Blast or Very Vanilla contains 0 calories, 0 carbs and 0 food dyes.
- Moisture-wicking socks: I am a huge fan of Balega running socks. Wearing them helped keep my feet blister free during four Avon39 Walks –
- Sparkly Soul Headbands: No headaches, no slip, no kidding! These sports and fitness headbands come in a wide range of fun designs.
- Dry shampoo for quick touch-ups after a workout.
- Grippy socks: for barre workouts and other sneaker-feee activities.
Remember, giving gifts that promote a healthy lifestyle is a great way to show the most important people in your life that you support their journey to have fun, be fit and feel fabulous!
This Motivation Monday may bring us just one month into the fall season, but to me it feels like the summer of 2017 happened ages ago. Add the fact those longer, darker days are coming when Daylight Saving Time ends in less than two weeks…and it’s no wonder this bona fide beach bunny’s mind has already started daydreaming about getting away from the soon-to-be cold concrete jungle of New York City.
Wherever you call home, it’s no secret each of us fights a constant battle of how to fit so many tasks into one day, let alone one week. Between working; dealing with family obligations; and trying to take care of ourselves by working out and preparing healthy meals, there never seem to be enough hours to get it all done. (Especially when you throw in the extra chore of finding some time to sleep!)
In the midst of the daily madness, I couldn’t help but smile when I stumbled across the Tommy John website while doing some daily research on the good ol’ Internet. Even though the company is focused on base layers for guys, I learned those items are all about feeling confident and comfortable no matter where you go. I decided there was no better place for my mind to go than on a brief journey into fantasy land thinking up the dream fitness vacation. Talk about the perfect opportunity to get lost in some writing and escape the daily grind. So here it goes…
I’m sure you won’t be surprised to learn the ideal destination for this relaxing yet healthy getaway would be somewhere with a beach and a view of the water pretty much everywhere on the property.
The non-stress trip would start before I even set foot on the soft, white sand thanks to the fact that there would be very little to pack. Just the casual, low-maintenance necessities: bathing suits, flip-flops, sneakers and plenty of moisture-wicking workout wear. I’d gladly leave the “high-maintenance” hair styling and heavy makeup at home, but I’d be certain to pack plenty of sunscreen and at least one bottle of BFit Labs Rapid Electrolyte spray to keep my electrolytes in check while I sweat through those sports bras and yoga capris.
Which leads me to the ideal itinerary at this dream getaway destination: The morning would start with a high-intensity workout around 8 am and continue with a recovery breakfast filled with healthy but satisfying foods ranging from fresh fruit to egg whites with plenty of veggies tossed in. After some beach and pool time and maybe a little stand-up paddle boarding or kayaking, I’d gladly hit another low-impact workout or stretch session later in the day. On at last one day, I might swap that late day workout for a massage.
I should point out one important feature about my ideal getaway: while I would NOT want this to be a “dry” destination, I’d love if it offered some lo-cal cocktails. So instead of the sugar and calorie-filled frozen mudslides, I’d opt for margaritas featuring not much more than tequila and agave and lime juice or vodka and club sodas with a slice of fresh pineapple or orange.
Finally – and I realize this is the difference between 43-year-old Laura and 23-year-old Laura- I wouldn’t mind if a “quiet rule” was enforced after let’s say, 9 pm. That would make the atmosphere ideal for some solid rest and recovery before the next sun-filled day filled with one or more workouts.
So what would be in your ideal fitness trip agenda? I’d love to know! Even if we don’t get to take those trips anytime in the immediate future, sometimes a few minutes of daydreaming can help us deal with the daily dilemma of finding ways to have fun, be fit and feel fabulous!
This Motivation Monday brings us just 14 days away from the official start of this beach bunny’s favorite season. As the school days wind down and summer vacation plans take shape, I thought this was a good time to offer my must-have list for a safe season ahead:
1) Re-usable water bottle: Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate! My rule of thumb is unless you’re playing a sport for 90 minutes or longer, stay away from those high-calorie, sugar-loaded energy drinks.
2) BFit Labs Electrolyte Spray: Speaking of hydration, don’t forget to keep those all-important electrolytes in check! Tossing a bottle of Bfit Labs Rapid Electrolyte Spray into your gym or beach bag is the perfect way to stay hydrated wherever the day takes you. Whether you choose Berry Blast or Very Vanilla, the sprays (made by Sportsfood, Inc.) contain 0 calories, 0 sugars, 0 carbs and 0 food dyes. They DO give you just the right spritz of sodium and potassium, along with a shot of vitamins B6 and B12.
3) Portable / non-perishable snacks: Open any of my backpacks or beach bags, and chances are you’ll find almonds, a KIND bar and a banana or a green apple. Some of my beach cooler favorites include watermelon, frozen grapes and celery.
4) Moisture-wicking clothing: Sometimes the shirt on my back makes all the difference between sweating it out and throwing in the towel!
5) Jump rope: The ultimate portable workout tool that can be used just about anywhere.
6) New kicks: If it’s been six months since you got your last pair of sneakers, now’s the time to look for new support. When you’re out getting that new bathing suit and sunscreen, make a stop in the athletic footwear department.
7) Sunscreen: I’m 100% guilty of overdosing on way too much sunshine in my teens and 20s. Since developing Rosacea in my mid-30s, I’ve become more diligent about protecting my skin. I look for products that are lightweight, waterproof and formulated specifically for sensitive skin. My go-to for the last several years has been La-Roche Posay Ultralight Sunscreen Fluid.
So, what’s on your must-have summertime fun list? I’d love to know! Sharing ideas is always a great way to help everyone enjoy a safe season filled with lots of opportunities to have fun, be fit and feel fabulous!
It’s hard to believe it’s been two years since I wrote about how “stripping” changed my fitness routine. On this Motivation Monday, I’m excited to let you know the same company that introduced me to the power of the electrolyte strip has found a great way for everyone to spray their way to a better workout!
Adding a bottle of Bfit Labs Rapid Electrolyte Spray to your gym bag is a great way to stay fueled and hydrated wherever the day takes you. The spray is made by Sportsfood, Inc., the creator of the rapid electrolyte replacement oral thin film strip that dissolves instantly in your mouth. Just like the strips, each spray of Berry Blast of Very Vanilla contains 0 calories, 0 sugars, 0 carbs and 0 food dyes.
In addition replenishing the all-important electrolytes sodium and potassium, the liposomal spray also delivers a shot of vitamins B6 and B12. In addition to drinking water, I gave the spray a try during one of my forever challenging Physique57 workouts: two sprays before the warm-up and two more half-way through class. While I still felt the burn, my muscles didn’t completely give out as quickly and that means I banged out more reps than usual. I can’t wait to see how the spray keeps me moving during my “strictly cardio” days at New York Sports Club and the variety of outdoor activities ahead of us as we march closer to summer. I should mention one bottle costs $19.95 and contains approximately 180 sprays. If you use up to six sprays per workout, one bottle should last you about a month.
One final important note: this is not an “energy” spray – it doesn’t contain caffeine or stimulants. It contains only the electrolytes our bodies need to help maintain water balance and prevent muscle cramps and fatigue along with hits of B12 and B6.
If you’ve been reading this blog for awhile, you know I don’t write a lot of product reviews, but I do like to share fitness or food finds that help me in my own efforts to maintain a healthy lifestyle. I hope that assures you I’m only writing about this particular product because I do consider it a bona fide find for my diet and exercise regimen.
You can find more information and of course order the Bfit Labs Rapid Electrolyte Spray at Sportsfood.com Of course, if you do try it out, I want to hear from you! Sharing ideas on how we stay active and healthy is a great way to stay the course on the never-ending journey to have fun, be fit and feel fabulous!
This Motivation Monday brings us somewhere between burning off the remaining traces of those turkey leftovers and crossing off the names on your holiday shopping list. With less than one week till Hanukkah and about four weeks till Christmas, I thought I’d offer some ideas for the health and fitness fanatics in your life.
Laura’s Top Five Fitness Gifts for 2015:
- C9 Flat Resistance Band Set – This three-band set makes it tough to make excuses! Use them in any hotel room, the guest room at grandma’s house or in the comfort of your own home when you’re snowed in this winter. It even comes with a user guide to help get going.
- Yoga mats and reusable water bottles never go out of style. The Contigo AUTOSEAL® Kangaroo water bottle even has a place to stash your gym ID, keys or some cash during your workout.
- Looking for the perfect stocking stuffers? Check out the many styles of Sparkly Soul sports and fitness headbands. Whether it’s a cardio sweat session or a pulse-and-squeeze Physique57 class, these no slip, no headache headbands are a great addition to my workout wear. Another idea: SportsFood, Inc. electrolyte strips. No sugar, no calories, no water needed. Just pop one in your mouth before your workout and another one midway through and help your body replenish those all-important electrolytes.
- Wellness Tea of the Month– If you’re looking for a healthier twist to those libation-of-the-month memberships, this six-month Republic of Tea subscription could be the answer. Each month, a new tea arrives ranging from “Get Active” to “Get Restored.”
- If you know someone who wants to dabble in the mixology of nutritious fruits and veggies or is craving a smoother version of their favorite protein shakes, a blender can help! I’ve heard rave reviews about the Nutri Ninja®.
Any other items on your healthy holiday wish list? I’d love to hear about them! Remember, if you’re braving the crowds at the stores or shopping online, it’s important to find a few quiet moments for yourself during the holidays. Whether it’s some quality gym time, a couple of quick Tabatas at home or a nice soak in the tub, carving out some time for a little personal peace and joy this season is a surefire way to manage the holiday hustle and bustle and still have fun, be fit and feel fabulous!
That means I’m offering reminders from holidays past to help you get through this season without completely falling off the health and fitness wagon.
Click on the following links for refreshers on:
Finally, I offer three simple gift ideas for the fitness buffs on your list:
- Sparkly Soul headbands and SportsFood, Inc. electrolyte strips make for perfect stocking stuffers!
- Yoga mats, reusable water bottles and iTunes gifts cards are perfect for athletes of every fitness level
- Professional blenders are an option for serious smoothie lover
I’d love to hear about the items on your wish list! In the meantime, I send tidings of joy and and wishes for a season filled with plenty of chances to have fun, be fit and feel fabulous!
On this Motivation Monday, we are six days away from the official start of spring. As you can probably tell from my last few posts, this bona fide beach bunny is very excited about the arrival of my favorite season. So for my last pre-summer post, I thought I’d offer a few fitness-related items to add to your shopping list as you gear up for fun in the sun and new chances to get outside and get moving.
1) Re-usable water bottle: Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. My rule of thumb is unless you’re playing a sport for 90 minutes or longer, stay away from sugary energy drinks.
2) Sportsfood strips: Whether you’re hitting the trails for a run, the beach for a swim or the park for a picnic, throw a cartridge or two of these no-calorie, no-sugar electrolyte strips in your bag. Click here to see why I never go anywhere without them. (And when you order them, don’t forget to use coupon code Laura for a 15% discount.)
3) Moisture-wicking clothing: Sometimes the gear I wear makes all the difference between sweating it out and throwing in the towel.
3) Portable / non-perishable snacks: Open any of my backpacks or beach bags, and chances are you’ll find almonds, a banana and a protein bars. At this time of year, some of my other favorites to pack in a cooler are celery, watermelon and frozen grapes.
4) Jump rope: My favorite portable workout tool that can be used just about anywhere.
5) New kicks: You may recall I get a new pair of cross trainers twice a year. Since I tend to ask Santa to leave one pair under the tree for me on Christmas Day, this is the time of year I look for the next pair that I can start wearing down.
6) Sunscreen: I did a lot of damage to my skin with all the sun worshiping I did in my teens and 20s. After developing Rosacea in my 30s, I’m much more diligent about protecting my skin. I look for products that are lightweight, waterproof and formulated specifically for sensitive skin.
7) Good tunes: I simply cannot get into my workout without some heart-pounding beats. Here are the five songs currently giving me the biggest boost for cardio, Tabatas and weight training (some are old, some are new):
- “Girl Gone Wild (Dave Aude Remix)” – Madonna
- “The Walker” – Fitz & The Tantrums
- “Ease off the Liquor” – Timbaland
- “Love Runs Out” -One Republic
- “Bigfoot” – W&W
Now bring on the start of summer 2014 and plenty of sun-filled days and chances to have fun, be fit and feel fabulous right through Labor Day!