We made it to the first Motivation Monday of May! Every month brings new opportunities, and I’m happy to report this one started off with a bang. Once again, I can thank my time in Twitterville for making it happen.
It’s been nearly two years since I met fellow fierce fitness femmes Monica Gauntt and Lori Ross. They’re actually part of about a dozen tweeps that make up our #fitfam. (For you non-tweeters, that’s short for Fitness Family.) We live in all different parts of the country, but during the past couple of years, we’ve said virtual hellos almost every morning to get moving; sent multiple shout-outs to keep us energized throughout the day and even sent hugs and prayers via cyberspace to help each other power through injuries, job losses, divorces, deaths and other challenging times.
Monica and Lori took their relationship beyond Twitter to become 2fitchx. Each fabulous “Frista” has overcome major hurdles in her quest to find a healthy balance in this crazy ride called life. Lori lost 125 pounds and Monica broke free of the yo-yo dieting prison and other unhealthy habits. They share their very personal stories along with tips and motivational messages in a weekly radio show. I was honored to be a guest on that show just this past Friday.
Please click here to find out what happens when three fit chicks get together. (The fact that we’re all blonde just adds to the fun!) I hope you’ll find some motivation to stay on track with your own health and fitness goals in our candid, fun-filled banter ranging from the workouts we love to how “stripping” has changed our lives. (Bet that piqued your curiosity!) Be sure to catch Monica and Lori’s future shows on Fridays live at 11 am CT or 6:00p CT for the replay. Listen on Indio Radio via the tunein app on your smartphone or IndioRadio.com. You can check out the archived shows 24/7 at 2FitChx.podomatic.com.
I’m still blown away by some of the amazing people I’ve met through social media, and Monica and Lori are part of a group of that keeps me motivated. Even positive peeps like me can have a low day now and then, and I’m thankful for 2FitChx and the other members of my #FitFam who inspire me to chase my own dreams to have fun, be fit and feel fabulous!
Leave it to Albert Einstein to come up with yet another catchy idea: “Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.”
I have no idea whether he was a fitness buff, but the scientific genius could have been talking about exercise. Whether you’re a fitness newbie or fanatic like me, sometimes we all need a little motivation and a good kick in the you-know-what to take things up a notch. There are three reasons why spring is the perfect time to change your routine:
- Avoid a Plateau: If you run at the same speed on the treadmill everyday for 20 minutes, your body will eventually hit a plateau. You’ll still burn calories, but you’ll need to increase your resistance levels or speed if you want to help boost your metabolism and maximize results. This is the same reason personal trainers push clients to increase reps with each workout. As your strength and endurance grows, so should your workout.
- Avoid Over-Training: Doing the same workout day after day doesn’t allow muscle groups time to rest and recover and ultimately grow. This not only diminishes returns on your hard work, but it also puts you at increased risk for injury. This is why I try to hit cardio and core hard on Mondays and Wednesdays and focus on strength training on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I continue to mix things up over the weekend, and I’m always sure to take a minimum of one if not two days off each week.
- Avoid Burnout: If you get bored with your fitness routine, you’re likely to stop putting 100% into your work. If you stop seeing results, you may give up on your fitness goals altogether. Trying new group exercise classes and weight training circuits can keep things fresh.
The good news is there are simple ways to add a little variety, and perhaps some extra sweat, to your typical routine:
1) Start jumping rope: Not only does this fun activity make me feel like a kid again, but you can burn up to 20 calories per minute jumping rope. Also, you can do it just about anywhere. All you need is a jump rope! Even walkers can incorporate jumping rope into their routine and take things to the next leve. Try this combo: walk at your top speed for 5 minutes, then jump rope for 1 minute, keep switching between walking and jumping rope and work your way up to a total of 30 minutes. Ideally, try to work up to three walking/jumping sessions three times a week for two weeks.
2) Tweak the traditional push-up: Place your feet on a six- to eight-inch high step as you get in plank position and perform a push-up as you normally would. Be sure to draw in your navel and squeeze the glutes through all your reps. Adding the step creates more work for your shoulders along with the chest.
3) Get a new playlist: I can always count on heart-pounding beats to keep me moving! If you need some new tunes, I recently started following DJ Al Roccone on Twitter. He’s got great fitness mixes you can download for free. Check out his latest here:
4) Blow Your Mind: If you want to see what true strength and determination look like, check out this amazing video I found on the Fitness Girls Facebook page.
I may not be able to bang out half of exercises in that video, but I like seeing such challenging variations to body-weight exercises. It just goes to show sometimes all you need is your body and some floor space to get to work! Let me know how you take things up a notch this spring as part of the never-ending quest to have fun, be fit and feel fabulous!
While I’m still enjoying this mini-vacation, I didn’t want to entirely blow off my typical shot of “Monday Motivation” for anyone needing a little kick in the you-know-what to get moving this week.
In the essence of time, I’m borrowing this week’s words from some famous motivators. I often receive positive feedback when I share famous quotes, I figured it couldn’t hurt to offer a few more while I’m out of town. Enjoy!
- “With the new day comes new strength and new thoughts.” -Eleanor Roosevelt
- “Be miserable. Or motivate yourself. Whatever has to be done, it’s always your choice.”-Wayne Dyer
- “I don’t believe you have to be better than everybody else. I believe you have to be better than you ever thought you could be.” -Ken Venturi
- “What you get by achieving your goals is not as important as what you become by achieving your goals.” -Henry David Thoreau
- “What you do today can improve all your tomorrows.” -Ralph Marston
- “The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph.” -Thomas Paine
- “Even if you fall on your face, you’re still moving forward.” -Victor Kiam
- “The secret of getting ahead is getting started.” -Mark Twain
- “You can never quit. Winners never quit, and quitters never win.” -Ted Turner
- “Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after the other.” -Walter Elliot
If you want more motivational quotes, be sure to follow me on Twitter or find me on Facebook. (There are buttons on the top right hand side of this page to click on so you can connect quickly!)
Here’s hoping you had a chance to rest and re-charge a bit over the weekend so you can go out this week and grab every opportunity to have fun, be fit and feel fabulous!
First and foremost: Happy Veterans Day! Today, let us remember to take a moment and be grateful for all the men and women who’ve served our country and allowed us to enjoy the privilege of freedom.
For this special Sunday edition of LauraLovesFitness, I want to send a special shout out to all of you who’ve supported me in this week’s “Face of Fitness” contest for Fitness Magazine. Whether you took 30 seconds every day this past week to click on my photo and cast a vote or spent extra time campaigning for my “Stronger at 38 than 28” entry via Facebook and/or Twitter, I am truly grateful for all the amazing support!
Today is the last day to vote in the contest. If you’ve already voted this week, you can vote again once more today. After reading the rules extra carefully, I just learned any duplicate vote from the same person on a given day will be invalidated after it’s all over. So, while I appreciate the enthusiasm of some supporters, please cast your vote only once today!
Of course, I’ll be sure to let you know how it all plays out. Whatever happens, I’m so lucky to have such great people behind me. It’s because of you that I keep writing this blog. Here’s to continuing our never-ending journey to have fun, be fit and feel fabulous!